Insurance for your college student

I was talking recently with someone about their child going away to college. How would her daughter’s possessions be best protected? There are a couple of answers. If the student will be living in a dorm, the parent’s homeowner’s insurance will most likely provide some level of coverage for the student’s personal possessions. To be clear on the extent of the coverage the parent should consult their policy, or better, talk to their insurance agent. The better alternative, and the proper one if the student will be living in non-dormitory housing, is a renter’s insurance policy. The student will have both coverage for personal possessions as well as some amount of liability coverage. The liability coverage would be important if something happened to someone visiting the student at their residence. And, renter’s insurance is fairly inexpensive.

This entry was posted in Insurance. Bookmark the permalink.